Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Midweek Tease o2.14.18

Happy Valentine's Day! 

I am going to continue on where I left off with my WIP. I have been on a writing hiatus and just got back into writing this. It's about a young, wealthy, winery owner and artist, who falls for a woman who works at the art museum. He is immediately drawn to her not only because he thinks she is beautiful, but because she is so bold and sassy. Only his true identity, as a vampire, must not ever be known to her. Both struggle to fight their growing attraction to each other, until Anton proposes a strictly physical affair. But how long will it last before they admit to each other that they want something more? And what will happen if she discovers his secret? 

This scene takes place later in the night...
“Are you not hungry?” Marlena asked.
She sat beside me on the chaise sofa, as I drank from her wrist. She was comfortable always, in case I took too much and she became weak. I barely took any blood before pushing her wrist away.
“This is strange for you, Anton, you’re usually hungry. Did you feed already?” She asked, “And you’re taking it from my wrist, instead of my throat...what’s going on?”

Marlena was nothing more than a good friend and a donor. I had known her and her husband for years. They had made a good living being blood donors to vampires and managing a blood donor service.
“I haven’t fed tonight…” I started out. “I met someone. At the museum. And she’s human...”
“And you feel guilty drinking from a female.” She finished for me.
“Yes.”
“I get it,” She smiled, “but you still need to feed. I would be willing to ask Jax if he would trade a client for me, as soon as possible. How much does she know?”
“Absolutely nothing, other than we made a connection tonight. I intend on keeping it all from her.”
“How much does the other part of you want to tell her?” Marlena inquired. She knew me too well.
I stood up and went over to the bar, pouring a glass of whiskey.
“Everything. In a perfect world I would share everything with her and she would be accepting, and eventually she would profess her love by wanting to be turned and spend eternity with me.” I took a long sip, trying to calm the craving. “But this isn’t a perfect world, so I’ll keep her at a distance. The truth could be dangerous for her in so many ways. Even if she survived those truths and begged to be turned, I wouldn’t do it.”
I took another long sip, emptying the glass.
“I have a date with her tomorrow night.” I confessed as I poured another drink.
“I know twenty years isn’t a long time for you, but doing what I do for that long has given me a lot of experience with vampires. And from what I know, you’re going to have to feed really well before that date tomorrow. I will get Jax over here at sundown. But long term, if something with her develops, you’re going to need to calm that beast inside you, Anton, you’re going to need to hunt."
“I know, I was trying to avoid that part.” I replied, drinking more whiskey. I wondered if a stronger drink was in order to help with the craving I was feeling, such as a straight up homemade Kentucky moonshine; whiskey and wine weren’t going to cut it. I was going to have to call my business partner, Colin, and make that happen.
“Will I get to meet her?” Marlena smiled.
“If everything goes well tomorrow and she wants to see me again. And if she doesn’t have a case of accidental death.”
I let out a long breath, the thought of any of it making me sad. I would be heartbroken if she didn’t want to see me again and heartbroken if I accidentally killed her in a fit of lust. Marlena must have seen the anguish in my eyes for she came walking over to me, placing her hand on my cheek.
“Anton, how serious is this?”
“For her, I don’t know. She may just be curious. For me…” I stumbled to find the words. Unusual for me, but thinking about Charlotte had a way of twisting me up inside.
“Oh my god, Anton, is she it? Is she the one?”
“For me, she is. I have to play this so carefully.”
Marlena stared at me.
“Are you sure you don’t want any more while I’m here?” She asked, holding out her wrist.
“I do, I’m hungry, but I can’t. Thank you.”

Thanks for reading! You can read more great authors below.

Bleeding Hearts & Fangs, ~Siren X

5 comments:

  1. Live sucks for a vampire, literally as well as figuratively. ;) Love the tease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tease. I feel for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if she is the one, she should be feeling it on her side too. I can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete