Thursday, July 23, 2015

Thursday Taster o7.23.15

Welcome to Thursday Tasters!

We are going to continue on where we left off two weeks ago in my WIP serial killer story, tentatively titled Take Your Life.


My free hand brushed hers as I tried to hold her arm down better. She gripped onto my hand and I tried to use my lower arm and elbow to hold her arm in place, so I didn't have to disrupt her handholding.I put in two more deep stitches before she realized her hand was holding mine. She quickly let go.
"Sorry." She said quietly as I placed my hand back on her arm.
"No worries." I smiled.
I gave her a few more before deciding that she had enough. The tension in her arm eased when I finished up with top layer stitches. I carefully rubbed antibiotic ointment over the stitches.
"Are you okay?" I asked as I placed a thin bandage over her arm.
"Yeah." She replied.
"Do I need to give you after care instructions?"
"No, I'm well versed, thanks." She slightly smiled.
"If you have any trouble with it, just come back and ask for me."
"Thanks, Dr. Emerson."
"We're done here, you don't have to call me that anymore."
"We're still in the hospital, in a patient room, Dr. Emerson." She laughed as she stood up.

"I think you just like calling me that."
"Perhaps."

I saw the rest of her color quickly drain from her face; she had gotten dizzy and was going to pass out. I ran over and caught her in my arms when she lost her balance. My guess was she probably didn't eat this morning.
"I thought I told you not to pass out on me." I said as I smiled, obviously joking with her. I didn't expect her to answer back.
"I'm not very good at following orders." She said quietly. 

That totally turned me on.
"Apparently." I replied to her as I quickly scooped her up in my arms and carried her over to the patient examination table. 

"Lay here, until you feel better. I'm going to go get you some water."
I left the room, shutting the door and made my way to the vending machines in the ER lobby. I quickly fumbled in my pocket for some change and grabbed a bottle of cold water -let's face it, hospital tap water is nasty - and a bar of chocolate.
I made my way back into the ER as the same nurses from before watched me as I made my way back to the room. I couldn't wait to hear what rumor was going to go around, especially with a pretty girl, chocolate, and a bottle of water.
"Here," I said to Amber, handing her the chocolate bar, "You didn't eat today. This isn't the greatest breakfast, but it will spike your blood sugar faster."
"Thanks." She said, slowly sitting up. 

She opened the chocolate bar as I loosened the cap on the water bottle. I watched as she broke off a small square and ate it.
"You need to eat more than that for it to help." I whispered.
"Here," She said as she broke of a third of the bar and handed it to me, "you eat some, too."
I took from her and took a small bite. 

"I really don't need this like you do."
"I know." She said, "But at least then I know you didn't drug it or something."
Wait. What?! How did she know I would do something like that?!!
I stared at her.
She laughed, "Relax, I'm kidding, Dr. Emerson."

I smiled and laughed too, as I took another bite of the chocolate. Maybe I should have drugged it. But trying to kidnap her, unconscious, out of the hospital would have been awkward.
She drank some water and ate more chocolate, the color beginning to return to her face.
"Speaking of drugs, do you need me to prescribe you some painkillers in case that starts to hurt too much?"
"I should be fine."
"Are you sure?" I asked, as she went to get off the examination table. I stood in front of her and put my hands on each side of her on the table to stop her. I smiled, "Are you sure you're okay to stand? I wouldn't want to have to rush to your rescue again."
"Oh, is that how you see it?" She said with sarcasm, "Rush to my rescue, your damsel in distress?"
"I think I'm okay." She said normally. 

I moved and watched her carefully as she stood up. She seemed to be okay. She grabbed her shirt off of the chair.
"Thank you, Dr. Emerson." She said seriously. "I really do owe you one."
"You're welcome." I said humbly. Then I slipped in, "You don't owe me anything but to have dinner with me tonight."
She took a step towards me and laughed, "Is this how you pick up women, your patients at the hospital?"
"No." I said as I looked at her, "I don't ever pick up women at the hospital. I don't ever pick up women, period. I'm always too busy. You would be the first in a very long time."
It was somewhat true, the only women I picked up lately were the unconscious ones. I hadn't actually dated in almost three years, other hobbies got in the way. It would be too hard managing what I do outside the hospital and have a significant other. Their life would constantly be in danger. What I was doing with her, Amber, I don't know. All I know is I wouldn't be able to move on until I had her.

"Plus, I don't really consider you a patient. You didn't fill out any paperwork." I added.
She smiled, not knowing what to say, so I also added, "And in case I do get in trouble with my chief..."
"Okay, okay, okay. I'll have dinner with you tonight." She said caving.
"Great." I smiled as I pulled out my phone, taking step forward to hand it to her. "Your phone number so I can text you when I get out of here and get your address."
She laughed and filled out her info. When she handed me back my phone, I texted her.
"You know, in case you gave me the wrong number, on purpose."

Her phone beeped and she pulled it out of her pocket as she laughed.
"That is so something I would do." She admitted.
"I know."
"But this time I didn't." She added as she opened her text and showed me. She played with her phone for a second, I could only guess that she added me to her contacts.

"I'll probably pick you up around eight or so." I said as I walked her out.
"Okay. Sounds good."
I walked with her to the exit of the hospital.
"You're not going to blow me off, are you?" I asked as she went to walk out.
"I won't. I'll see you around eight, Dr. Emerson."

I watched as she walked out and down the long sidewalk to the street. My shift at the hospital was going to be a very long one. 

I think their "date" might happen next Thursday Tasters. Thanks for reading! You can read more great authors here.

Have a great week!

Hearts & Stars,
~Siren XVX

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big reader of horror, but for some reason, I like you work. It's intriguing. Hope to see more next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying this story, loving the tasters and can't wait to find out what happens next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! If he starts dating her before cutting her, that's getting a lot dangerous for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this is dangerous, dangerous ground for him.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete