Thursday, June 25, 2015

Thursday Taster o6.25.15

Welcome to Thursday Tasters!

This week we will continue on with the serial killer story I am writing. This excerpt continues right where we left off...

She took a breath and turned around to walk back with me to the ER. I took a quick peek at her name badge pinned to the pocket of her uniform shirt, A. Hurley.
"Not that way. We'll go through a different way, so you don't have to run into ex -partners again. I think you have had enough for one day." I said.
I motioned for her to follow me.
She laughed slightly as we walked, "He's actually my superior."
I led her to a locked door, swiping my hospital badge to unlock it. The back way through the ER.
"Well, you won't have to see him again." I smiled.
"Thanks."
After we walked through the door, I turned to face her. "That patient survived because of you."
"You don't understand," she said, "I'm the reason he went into cardiac arrest."
She paused, trying to figure out if she should tell me more. She probably realized it would be best to explain because she continued on.
"We arrived to help him, a neighbor had called it in. I went near him not warned that he had a knife on him. He did this." She lifted up her arm. "Instead of backing off, I disarmed him. Because waiting for NYPD to show, well, you know how long that will take...and then he went into cardiac."
"You did the right thing." I reassured her. "The amount of drugs and alcohol in his system, he was bound for cardiac anyway."
She didn't look to sure.
"Hey, it doesn't matter, all that matters is you saved his life. In the end thats all its about."
She shook her head. We continued onward as I looked for a room we could use; doctors and nurses looking at us as we passed, obviously having come through the staff only back door. They must have been wondering what I was doing. I'm sure the gossip would go around the hospital like fire.
"Here, we can go in here." I said as I motioned for her to go in first. I followed behind her and shut the door.
"Have a seat." I said, motioning to the table. She sat and watched as I went to sit across from her, checking out my hospital badge. 
"I've been to this hospital a lot, Dr. Emerson, I've never seen you in the ER before."
"I'm helping out today. We were short staffed. Normally I'm upstairs."
"What department?"
"I'm a heart surgeon." I smiled.
"I enjoy the emergencies of the ER." I admitted.
"Me too." She said with a smile.
"So, what's next for you?" I questioned.
"I don't know." She said, sadly.
"Med school."
"Med school? I don't know about that. I kinda liked being on the frontlines."
"This ER is always looking for doctors."
She laughed.
"Let me see." I said motioning for her arm. 
She lifted her arm towards me, without thinking I slipped my left hand into hers for support, but I held it too tight, squeezing her hand as if we were lovers walking along the beach. She got nervous and pulled away.
"Sorry." I apologized.
"Its okay." She said, realizing she probably shouldn't have freaked out. She really had a trust issue.
She gave me her arm back and I slipped my hand around hers being more aware to grab it loosely.
I started to unwind the quickly done bandage around her arm. I could tell it was going to be bad.
"You're going to need stitches." I said, "It might be best if you take of your uniform shirt before I unwrap this completely." 
Even though her uniform shirt was short sleeve, the sleeve was going to get annoying. Plus, maybe I just wanted to see her without it on. She unbuttoned it and pulled it off almost seductively.
More of her tattoos showed and I was quite surprised at how many she had. I could only imagine how many more there were that I couldn't see. She handed me back her arm and I resumed holding her hand and unwrapping it.
"Do you always help female EMT's that are in trouble, Dr. Emerson."
"Stuart." I said. "And no, i usually don't have EMT's that need help falling into my lap. You would be the first, Miss Hurley."
"Amber." She said. "And thanks for your help."
"You're welcome." I said, my Irish accent accidentally coming out thick.
She smiled. "I hear that you are Irish. How long have you been in New York?"
I pulled the rest of her bandage off, it was stuck the wound. She didn't flinch as I pulled it off. 
"Sorry." I said.
"No worries."
"I've been here a while. Since my college days. Med school at Columbia." I said as I looked over her wound, "I'm originally from outside Dublin."
I smiled, "I grew up on a farm. I see from your last name that you have some heritage as well."
"Yeah, both my parents are Irish. My great, great grandparents immigrated here or something like that."
"Have you ever been?"
"Unfortunately no."
"Well, thats too bad. You should really go sometime, its beautiful."
"Perhaps. Maybe that will be next."
"I would still be there, if Columbia hadn't of recruited me and now this hospital and other things. One day I'll go back when the time is right."
I looked at her and realized, not only was I giving away too much, but I was also flirting with her, which is not something I do. I wondered how her scream was going to sound. I looked away quickly and back at her wound.
"You definitely need a good bunch of stitches."
She didn't need that many, but I wasn't going to make this easy for her. I was already aching to see her pain tolerance.
Thanks for reading and please comment, I love reading your comments! I need to catch up on commenting too!

You can read more great authors here.
Have a great week! It's still 2015, make sure you're doing something fabulous!

Hearts & Stars,

~Siren X.

2 comments:

  1. Damn at some point he almost sounded nice... Almost!
    I think he is up for a surprise, she doesn't seem to be the type to fall for it easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, almost. She will challenge him from the beginning. But at the same time, he seems prepared to handle her differently ;)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete